[linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ?

Gerasimos Grammatikopoulos dragoon at interfree.it
Mon Dec 9 09:54:01 EST 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 03:32, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> What is hard about these apps?
Nothing is hard about those, but they are not offering all the possibilities
as of yet - although I'm confident that given the necessary time they will be
a fine set of tools. Perhaps I came a bit too harsh but that was not my
intention. When you spoke of using musical apps the "un*x way" I thought you
were refering to command / list-file based apps and methodologies. If you
refer to the Un*x way as the modularization paradigm of independent tools
communicating on a bidirectional pipeline (as the one JACK offers), well I
couldn't agree more! :-) As I said before, if there is one thing I terribly
miss under windows is exactly that power of real-time intercommunication of
different, independent apps. In a subthread of this topic there has been
mention of ReWire, but I have to agree with the counter-post that ReWire is
still based on the "big container to put stuff in" idea, which is a lot more
limited than the possibilities of what a generalised "JACKed" environment can
offer.
You also said that the expectancy of porting windows tools over at linux is
very dim if non-existant. Remember when linux was just a playground for
coders/hackers (intended with the jargon file meaning, not the mass-media
one) with a passion?  Look at linux now, in the video-editing scene. In fact,
I'm quite optimistic on this: audio and music on linux simply had a later
start (perhaps due to a rather prolonged lack of efficient drivers for
higher-end soundcards?) than other tasks. I consider Steinberg's stance over
porting VST to linux was, to use mild words, short-eyed. But we've got LADSPA
anyway... Give some skilled synth&FX developers some time credit and we will
have powerful stuff in our hands (there are already some very nice ones
around).
Let's get back to the original poster's question: "is there an analogous of
what AND how to do stuff with ACID in linux?" The answer is "not as of yet,
at least not fully. But it's getting there...."