[linux-audio-user] Clicking noises - how to get rid of?

linuxmedia4 at netscape.net linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Mon Dec 9 14:39:00 EST 2002

Pauline Powledge <pollyp at drizzle.com> wrote:

>I am trying to convert some old cassette music to audio CD
>format. I'm very new to Linux audio, mixers, and so forth,
>and have some newbie-type questions to ask.
>
>I'm running the 2.2.14 kernel with the ALSA drivers, version
>5.12a, es1968 module, with an es 1978S soundcard. The problem I
>have is that I get a loud, persistent, evenly-spaced clicking
>sound in my input.
>
>I have tried running ecasound with "-r -z:nointbuf", but that
>doesn't seem to help.

I'm not familiar with the -z:nointbuf but I've had exactly the same noise as you described and I was able to get rid of it with the -b option.

It was tricky though. I stared with -b:64 (didn't work), then I doubled to -b:128 (didn't work). To make a long story short, after doubling for a while, I ended up dropping the number by 100, then by 50... until I narrowed it down to the _exact_ buffer size that stopped the clicking.

It may be different for you, but I think the number that worked for me (at the time) was -b:150.

BTW, they say that the -b option works best with even numbers.

Rocco