[linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift

Gerasimos Grammatikopoulos dragoon at interfree.it
Tue Dec 10 21:14:00 EST 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 02:49, Darren Landrum wrote:

> So, if you want an Acid clone on Linux, an important thing to consider
> is compatibility with the existing and rather vast Acid library. Now,
> if the Acid loop discs deliver their loops in a standard audio format,
> all is well, but what if it turns out to have proprietary elements? I
> honestly don't know. I would assume they use a standard format.
They are mostly .wavs, some .mp3s. Acid can also use their proprietary format
called .pca (perfect clarity audio - a lossless compression that lives to its
name) along with a really impressive bunch of other formats.

> This also brings up the idea of the Open Loop Library. Members of the
> community can contribute all sorts of loops and one-shots to the
> library for people to use, free for the download (and possibly
> attribution). Then users of our nifty Acid clone (which I'll call
> Alkali for grins) will have a resource for that fateful day when Sonic
> Foundry complains about people misusing their loops.
A loop library in OAL (Open Audio License)? I'd love to contribute!

> I am not much of a coder (I'm a decent Perl and PHP hacker), but I
> wouldn't mind doing what I can to help bring Alkali into existence,
> even if it is creating the Open Loop Library, a task I would be much
> better suited to.
>
> Any thoughts? Am I completely off base? Thanks for reading this far. :)

The basic problem is having the Alkali at hands (kudos for the nice name! :)
Or at least a modular set of tools (each one called alkalium-something? :-P)

BTW, yesterday I noticed something on ACID... It was the first time I rendered
a song directly in mp3 with version 4. Ooops, they allow 20 free mp3
encodings then you have to register the encoder (I believe to thomson?). Heh,
I'll stick to ogg with acid (and the rest of it too!)