[linux-audio-user] Straight-talking digitally

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Wed Dec 11 00:29:01 EST 2002

>> The Midiman DiO 2448 seems to be the cheapest sound card with digital
>> I/O and I use it with the OSS drivers, paid for, from 4Front
>> technologies at http://www.opensound.com. The card has analogue output
>> but no analogue inputs at all.
>> The Midiman 2496 is more expensive but it may be easier to get drivers
>> working on it.
>
>Looking at the ALSA soundcard matrix and associated doco, the 2496
>doesn't have SPDIF support yet. However the 2448 (CMI8738 chip) seems
>to be well supported by the current drivers (0.9.0rc6).

I thought that I remembered that the Midiman Audiophile 2496 had been working with spdif for a while for me at least, though I have the dat on the Delta 1010 in the music room now.

I know that there was a lot of ups and downs with the drivers and spdif at first.
I did have to cook up my own .asoundrc for it, but that's kind of expected with a mutichannel chip being used on a simple card.

Tracey