[linux-audio-user] Gentoo users?

Jon Ellis ashura666 at mac.com
Tue Dec 17 17:34:01 EST 2002

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 12:05  AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Just wondering if you know the project leader, head developer... of
> Ardour has specifically requested that only daily updated cvs builds
> be made until an official release. Even this was debated hotly before
> it was first attempted.

Yes.

> If these are not, I hope you're ready to field questions relating to
> this as people are generally told to upgrade to latest cvs on ardour
> users site and here too.

This is Ardour from cvs. Nothing more. Gentoo already contained an
ebuild to pull Ardour out of cvs. All i've done is make it work by
updating the gentoo jack build and adding support not to compile ksi to
the ardour build.

> There are a few people attempting to make packages available but they
> seem to have started in earnest only in the last two weeks. Is this a
> phenomenon we are witnessing pre winter/summer vacation?

Not aware of this. Doesn't sound related to what i've done.

> You should note that Suse stopped making packages when they were
> informed of this request, Planet CCrma does not make complete packages
> available, and the other major players have respected Paul up to now.
>
> There is a case to be made for having the packaging systems working
> correctly before the release is made to ensure a smooth transition.

Gentoo doesn't have a package system, it has portage. Portage is just
as happy building from cvs as from a tgz.

> If you are doing this then consider promoting it only to some testers
> not the entire community and especially not to newbies who could
> become put off your methods when given a chilly (though hopefully not
> offensive) reception by other users on these lists or conversely when
> told the only way to get help is to upgrade to cvs. This wouldn't
> exactly make Gentoo look like it is built with the community spirit
> and I wouldn't like people to get that impression of the project.

The impression that people would get from the current ardour ebuild in
gentoo is that it doesn't build from cvs.

> Trying to be upto the minute and cutting edge is a great concept for a
> distro but upsetting major players in a community in the process is
> not helpful to your aims or others.

Given that gentoo isn't package based it doesn't seem likely that this
will upset anyone. If people are upset i'm sure they'll speak up.

Paul?

j.

--
I don't want knowledge, I want certainty.
	- David Bowie