[linux-audio-user] new computer woes

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Sat Dec 21 11:54:01 EST 2002

Steve,
   Hi. Comments embedded.
Thanks,
Mark

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 01:52, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 07:19:13 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >    The other 'issue', if you will, is that I'm trying to get this all
> > set up to really be usable as my main machine and not just a DAW. If I
> > start jack as root, then when I try to run alsaplayer as a normal user
> > it doesn't connect. I presume that when I start jack as a normal user
> > that I cannot get real-time response, so maybe the clicks and pops will
> > be more likely to happen, and they do.
>
> Yes, thats right, but using the jackstart program provied in Planet CCRMA
> you can run jackd as a normal user.

OK, good point. I'll check and see if jackstart -R gives fewer clicks
and pops than just jackd without -R at the user level. Probably will. (I
used to run jackstart all the time, but then got away from it for some
reason.)

> > I want to click on icons for mp3 and wave files and get sound. If I'm
> > running jack, I need to start alsaplayer one way, and if I'm not I need
> > to start alsaplayer another way. Therefore my file associations have to
> > change, based on whether jack is running or not. Not good.
>
> Try creating a shell script, eg /usr/local/bin/run-alsaplayer:
>
> ---- cut -----
> #!
> alsaplayer -o jack $* || alsaplayer $*
> ---- cut -----
>
> then do:
>
> # chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/run-alsaplayer
>
> Then set that as the association, it will try to run under jack, then if
> that fails fall back to alsa.

OK, this is probably the right direction to go, but I'm having some
trouble.

1) Any audio file with spaces in the name is not handled correctly.
After clicking on file, and then looking at alsaplayer's playlist, I see
only the very end of the original name. If I rename the file for no
spaces it works with jack running.

2) It doesn't fall back to alsa if jack is not running. I tried changing
the script to -o alsa, but that didn't work. Trying it from the command
line it complains about jack not running:

[mark at Godzilla Desktop]$ run-alsaplayer Chillin.mp3
cannot connect to jack server
cannot connect to default JACK server
jack: server not running?

I could not find a suitable output module on your
system. Make sure they're in "/usr/lib/alsaplayer/output/".
Use the -o parameter to select one.

failed to load output plugin (jack). exitting...
alsaplayer: pcm.c:6293: snd_pcm_unlink_ptr: Assertion `0' failed.
AlsaPlayer interrupted by signal 6
[mark at Godzilla Desktop]$