[linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Dec 21 14:56:01 EST 2002

don't know if i've mentioned this before, but I'd really
like to see this project succeed. I could donate all kinds
of odd little homemade loops :)

I just thought of some other useful metadata:

> > Every loop would have attached to it:
> >
> > a) Time signature
> > b) Tempo
 > c) Key (If applicable. Drum loops, for example, would not need this.)
> > d) Creator's name
> > e) Instrument(s) (This one is tricky, since there are so many
> > instruments in the world. It would need to be a free-text field, which
> > means misspellings could be a problem. Possible solutions?)
> > f) Loop or one-shot (Not everything meant for a loop-based composition
> > program need be an actual loop. Drum fills and cymbal hits come
> > immediately to mind.)
> > g) Style (This one creates some issues, due to how subjective it can
> > be.)
> > h) Comments (A free text field the creator of the loop can use to
> > attach whatever additional info they feel it needs.)
> > i) A million other things I can't think of at the moment. :)

j) length in seconds (should be able to extract this from the file)
k) length in beats (should be able to compute this from a, b, and b1)
l) no. of channels (typically 1 or 2) (extract from file)
m) sample rate (extract from file)
n) bit depth (extract from file)
o) license (public domain? bsd-ish? dsl? etc)
p) creation date
q) revision date (what if you tweak your loop and re-release it?)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com