[linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Conrad Parker conrad at vergenet.net
Sat Dec 21 22:54:01 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 07:44:29AM -0700, Darren Landrum wrote:

> On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 07:18 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > Dedicated clients are bad, this can be made to work in a browser
> > easily.
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> That's one vote for a browser instead of a client. Like I said
> previously, it would be best to make all of this work server-side
> before really starting on a client. However, like I also said
> previously, it seems to me that a client could really be a killer app,
> if it's done correctly. It would, however, not be required.

how about:

  * use an existing open protocol for searching and query, eg. LDAP

  * make an LDAP schema that matches the Ogg metadata schema used

then ...

  * any app can hook into the resource using a known protocol, reducing
  the requirement for a specific standalone client (or, conversely, an
  existing LDAP query tool can be used)

  * the web frontend simply becomes a web interface to the LDAP querying

server architecture:

  1. a web server full of files, which users can upload to

  2. when files are uploaded, the Ogg metadata is scanned, and checked
  for a valid license, eg. creative commons

  3. if so, it is moved to a public area on the web server, thus giving
  the file a static URL

  4. an entry is stored in the LDAP database with the metadata and the
  static URL of the file.

this way the components of the system -- storage, query, web frontend,
and any number of clients -- would be fairly independent, and nothing
would need to be reinvented.

I'd be willing to work on the random bits of C coding required, eg.
scanning Ogg metadata.

The upshot of this is that an app, eg. a loop sequencing app, could
query the server directly for loops matching the tempo, pitch and
style etc. of the project being worked on ...

Conrad.