[linux-audio-user] new computer woes

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Dec 23 12:27:01 EST 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

> I haven't really used jackstart much, but when I did it dodn't seem to
> give me such solid performance, but that was a while ago, so maybe there
> was a bug.
>
> Running all our audio apps as root isn't really a good long term
> solution.

Isn't this what capabilities is for?

Allowing the app to set priorities even as root? If this is the case
then jack supports it so that would make sense for ccrma to offer it as
part of the kernel and jack rpms.

If not then it would be worth doing it yourself as you are interested in
keeping root access down to a minimum.

However if you cannot get stability with root access then that is
something that could be fixed first. Just so you are 100% that the
computer is going to perform to your needs.

I have had very good performance running as root recently so I should
look into getting capabilities working too.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman