[linux-audio-user] m-audio radium USB midi keyboard

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 25 14:20:01 EST 2002

Hi,
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki hat gesagt: // Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

> I assume what Frank said regarding USB vs. MIDI I/O would apply here.
> That is, USB might work but will probably more difficult to set up.
> While MIDI in out should be fairly simple?

Yes, that's the bottom line. For USB, someone has to write a driver.
The Oxygen has an USB driver (it's a Midisport inside) in newer ALSA
versions, I don't know, if the Radium has a driver, but probably it
also has a Midisport inside, so it might work with USB as well. But
you will have to install the USB driver.

OTOH Midi is a standard protocol and it was designed to make
interoperability of devices possible. So you only need a midi
interface to connect the keyboard to your computer. Most soundcards
already have a midi interface onboard, as do most mainboards nowadays,
so you probably only need a midi cable and maybe a gameport/midi
adapter for some soundcards (like the SBLive). Don't buy the M-Audio
one, $29.95 is horrendously overpriced, even for a cable with gameport
adapter. Go to your local hardware outlet (computer or music) and buy
a noname cable.

ciao