[linux-audio-user] /etc/init.d/alsasound start doesn't load modules

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Wed Dec 25 18:38:01 EST 2002

My system disk on this box failed recently, so I had to reinstall on a
different disk. It's been a while since I last set up alsa from scratch,
so I'm doubting myself and suspect that I've forgotten something (or,
perhaps, that alsa has changed recently in some way).

In my previous settup I think the alsasound init script loaded my
drivers on boot. This time I can't seem to get "/etc/init.d/alsasound
start" to work. It runs with no errors (no output at all, actually), but
the sound modules are not loaded.

I'm using debian woody, but I have none of the debian alsa packages
installed. My kernel is 2.4.19 with Robert Love's preempt patch and
Andrew Morton's Low latency patch. I've compiled and installed
alsa-0.9.0rc6-drivers, -lib and -utils. I can do "modprobe snd-ymfpci",
set the mixer and hear sounds with aplay.

after loading the drivers with modprobe
/etc/init.d/alsasound stop
works as expected, unloading the drivers.

This isn't urgent, since I can get sound using modprobe to load the
drivers. But, not having the init script working makes me suspect I've
forgotten something and if I forgot one thing I could have forgotten
others ....

anyway, any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,
Eric Rz.