[linux-audio-user] No such device using ALSA drivers

Reinier Bos bosr at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 26 13:29:01 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 06:50:16PM +0100, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 05:56:42PM +0100, Reinier Bos wrote:
> >if I do an ll on the /dev/snd/pcmC0D3p the permissions, etc look fine:
> > - ll /dev/snd/pcmC0D3p
> > crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     116,  19 Dec 26 17:54 /dev/snd/pcmC0D3p
>
> The permissions are wrong, unless you run mplayer
> as root, which is wrong :)

Actually, I am running it as root (using sudo).  I wanted to use the hardware
RTC timing.  I know there are other ways of achieving this, but this was the
quickest.

> chown the device to root.audio, put yourself
> in the audio group, login to a fresh shell
> (you might have to restart X) and enjoy :)

Would that really help much?  With the permissions as they are 'others' have
both read and write permissions too, right?  (So mplayer running as a
regular user should still be able to use the device...)

Thanks,
Reinier.