[linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Nov 7 10:28:00 EST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:35:37PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> You will
> need to get at least one condenser mic as well. They are the best for
> recording.

Now Patrick, you should know you can't make blanket statements
like that where audio is concerned :-p

It depends a lot on *what* you're recording, and on the mic
in question. There is certainly no shortage of bad condenser mics
on the market. I'd take a good dynamic mic (Sennheiser MD-421
or 441, EV RE-20, Shure SM-7 to name a few) over crap
(but common) condensers like the AKG CS-1000 any day.
There are many applications where dynamic mics are still
the mic of choice (notably close-miking drums and
amplifiers, but also sometimes rock vocals).
Remember Michael Jackson's "Thriller"? One of the
biggest-selling records ever?  They could have
used any microphone in the world for lead vocals, and
they chose a Shure SM-7.  Whatever you think of the music,
there's no denying that it's a top-notch pop vocal recording.

And let's not forget ribbon mics.
I would *love* to be able to afford a Royer, but even
a Beyer M-500 or something would be nice to have
and would do pretty well on just about any source
except really really quiet stuff.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com