[Re: [linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box]

Kristofer Bergstrom kristofer.bergstrom at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Nov 7 18:35:00 EST 2002

  Thank you all so much for your input!  The information is really
appreciated.  Sorry to be vague and lead us off onto mics (although that info
too was much appreciated.)  I'll be recording a wide range of things (taiko
drums, stringed instruments, singing, found sound) so will eventually need a
number of microphones.  Right now I've only got a Shure SM57 due to lack of
funds.  Hopefully this will change.  :)

  I'm glad to hear that people think a setup or something similar would do the
trick.  Brian brought up the Midiman soundcard, saying it's easy to setup.
And I'm always happy to support companies who put a Penguin on their box.  RME
has been a little stand-offish.

  Does anyone have any thoughts about the Hammerfall card vs the Midiman card?
 It looks to me like the Hammerfall card is a little more high end but if you
have an external AD/DA converter, maybe it doesn't matter?  Maybe ease of
setup is more important than the few extra bells and whistles?  I'll admit
that I don't know what a lot of the specs mean for either card.  Paul Davis of
Ardour fame strongly recommended the Hammerfall cards but listening to Brian's
music at his homepage, it sounds like he's getting great results with the
MidiMan setup he's using too.  Here are some links I've found:

http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hammer/index.htm
http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/dio2496.php

  Anyway, any thoughts from Hammerfall and MidiMan users out there?

  Thanks again everyone!

  Kris Bergstrom

P.S.  Brian, are you the same Brian I met at the LA LUG meeting a few weeks
ago?  If so I've been trying to track down your e-mail.  There aren't too many
Linux DJs out there and I'd love to hear more of what you've been doing.