[linux-audio-user] Re: [Ardour-users] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Nov 8 20:47:00 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 07:13:45PM -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Darn!  I wish we had some way to collect all this information about
> noise, low latency and other system configuration issues somewhere.
> Finding what works and what doesn't from searching mailing list
> archives is difficult and frustrating.

I could set up a wiki with almost no effort.
Would that do the trick?

I started a wiki to replace the ancient Audio Quality HOWTO
a long time ago, but I wasn't really happy with the wiki
way of doing things so i abandoned it, thinking "I'll make this
better later"... but, well, you know how later goes. :-\

you can browse and search it (but not add stuff) at:
http://www.slinkp.com/LiLAQ/FrontPage

> I'm imagining some sort of web database of system hardware and
> software configurations with some indication of associated latency,
> reliability, and noise levels.  It would be interesting to look for
> patterns in the data.

a wiki wouldn't be as smooth as what you're describing
but it would at least provide a way that users could add comments
on various hardware.  could have a page for each soundcard,
a page for each video card, etc.  Adding pages is easy.

If a wiki would not do, let's figure out the requirements
and i could maybe throw something else together.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com