[linux-audio-user] clicks and pops

Anthony avan at uwm.edu
Tue Nov 19 22:53:01 EST 2002

* Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net> [Nov 19 02 18:52]:
> Brian Redfern wrote on Tue, 19-Nov-2002:
>
>  > That's good to know, as i was about to needlessly drop a ton of $$. Part
>  > of the problem is finding both the pre-emptive and low latency scripts for
>  > the particular kernel I'm using (2.4.19), I can find the low latency, and
>  > the 2.5.44 dev kernel comes with prempt built in, but I can't find a
>  > pre-empt kernel patch for 2.4.19, so while I can get decent latency
>  > running things as root, everything is not running as well as it could.
>
> The sense I've been getting from the emails over the past 2
> months is that 2.4.19 with LL and/or preemptive just isn't performing
> as well as, say, 2.4.18 LL/PE.  I have no numbers or proof, just seems
> like the trend.  Might be worth stepping back to 2.4.18 to try
> out for yourself, unless you can't for other reasons.
>
> jlc

Not that I can disprove your statement, but I think it probably has
much much more to do with the influx of new people and thus more
hardware and more variables in general. 2.4.19+LL runs as good as my 17
 or 18 + LL. In other words I can't tell any quantitative difference.

Who knows what other patches people may have applied not too mention
choice of kernel options.

--ant