[linux-audio-user] 16 tracks at a time?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Nov 24 14:22:01 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 03:29:47 -0400, Chris McDonald wrote:
> I'm thinking of building a machine to record 16 tracks at a time.
> Basicly a linux based HD recorder.

Have a look at ardour (GTK or curses) and/or ecasound (command line)

> So my big question is, is linux up to the task of recording 16 or
> more tracks at once in sync?

Yes, as long as you have hardware that is capable of produdcing 16 tracks
in sample sync, eg. a 2x ADAT card or (maybe) multiple cards+wordclock.

I have a hammerfall and that is easily capable of producing 16 tracks in
sync.

- Steve