[linux-audio-user] Koan / Generative music for Linux

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Nov 26 08:47:01 EST 2002

> I know that there is a Koan plug-in player for Linux, but does
> anyone know of a Linux tool (or at least an OSS project) which
> aims to release a program that takes a similar approach to
> music generation as Koan Pro.

Well not a very similar approach (I never really found the koan software to be
as tweakable as I wanted), but I am very interested in generative music, and
I've written a couple of plugins for my softsynth that do generative-esque things:
http://www.pawfal.org/Software/mi/

A couple of days ago I wrote a track in ssm which doesn't play the same thing
twice, You can tweak the parameters of randomness to change the way it plays,
but you can't get rid of the bum notes totally :] It's kind of the effect I
was after, I particually like the random drum beats!
It's availible in CVS, as it will be shipped with the next version of ssm:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/spiralmodular/ssm/Examples/soil_and_the_crop.ssm?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
(it'll only load on the CVS version.)

I'm going to be adding more plugins in the future for this sort of thing.

cheers,

dave