[linux-audio-user] digital recording of minidisc?

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 11:42:00 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:48:06PM +0100, roussel jerome wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a way to record my minidisc using the optical output of
> my Minidisc Deck. My soundcard (a CMI8738 ) has got an optical input
> so it should be easy ;-) .

I do exactly that.

> My problem is that I don't know how to record the sound from the optical
> input so that there is a new file created for each track an my MD.
> I know that there is a signal to say: this is the end of the track. So
> it should be possible to detect this sort of "End Of Track" but I don't
> know if it must be in hardware or in software.

I think you'll find that sound cards don't process the bits that carry
those signals, just as they don't take any notice of the SCMS (copy
protection bits) either.

I just start and stop each track manually, on both the PC and the MD
deck. After that I top and tail the WAV file with Audacity, which is no
problem as I need to do that anyway to get exactly the right lengths of
silence at the beginning and end of the track.

> If it is possible to do this in software, do you know a software
> recorder that records from the optical (or digital) input (with alsa)
> and that creates a new file for each track?

I'd be interested to know if there's a way of doing this.  Maybe a
recording program with a level sensing automatic track detection, like
many MD recorders can do? (i.e. guess tracks by the silences between)

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444