[linux-audio-user] Audio on Thinkpad A20m

Sadeck Valli svalli at pgbison.co.za
Wed Sep 11 06:24:15 EDT 2002

Setting Sound card Crystal Sound Fusion 46xx on ThinkPad A20m for RedHat
6.2 Kernel 2.2.14-5.0

I received the ThinkPad with Win98 Installed.

Did the following

Followed the instructions given on page
<http://www.zhlive.ch/zhl_contents_linux.html>
Excellent instructions these.

Also looked at HOWTO
<http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO-6.html>
No sense chancing it without reading this first.

Now quick read the following...

These are only the problems I had. May not be the same for you.

Copy "conf.modules" to "modules.conf" don't use "conf.modules"

On next boot Linux will complain.

Do as it says or ignore sound card will be installed.

It seems RedHat 6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5.0 does not like conf.modules and
uses modules.conf instead

Card on my system still did not work because volumes on ALSA driver were
muted.

To unmute(activate) master volume  "amixer set Master unmute" (you must
have installed and compiled the utilties source package from the ALSA
page. <http://www.alsa-project.org/>
To unmute PCM (needed to play wave and most other files) "amixer set PCM
unmute"
The rest I guess you can figure

Eg. Type   # amixer set PCM unmute

NOTE:

The driver is snd-driver-cs461x
Linux Kernel Release 2.2.14-5.0

Linux will give a very detail explanation of what to do about the
modules.conf and conf .modules file when you boot up.

MS Valli