[linux-audio-user] monophonic audio -> MIDI

Will Benton willb at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 12 13:51:43 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 11:42, jordan muscott wrote:

[snip]

> >   I use both environments to ensure I can use the best tools
> >   available. I
> >suspect others do also. I think you suggest that all Linux users are
> >closed minded Linux-only people? I think we disagree about that.
> >
> >   It's OK to disagree.
> >

> I think the point is that this list is called 'linux-audio-user', so we
> talk about linux-audio software.  So someone shouldn't have to ask 'Does
> anyone know of some [whatever] software for _linux_  ,because  it should
> be blatantly obvious.

I think Jordan has basically captured my point.  I am sorry if I was
polemical in my response, but "just use Windows" is not really a helpful
answer to many people who are using Linux for daily work, and is -- in
this forum -- really akin to recommending a Dell Inspiron when someone
on comp.sys.mac.portables asks what notebook to buy.

And no, I am not suggesting that all Linux users are "closed minded
Linux-only people".  Many Linux users do dual-boot, but it is not
reasonable to assume that everyone does.  Many Linux users are using
Linux on platforms where Windows is not available.  Even those Linux
users who are on Intel are not "closed minded" if they choose not to use
Windows:  there are many valid ethical, technical, and pragmatic reasons
not to use Windows -- none of which can be characterized as "closed
mindedness".

wb

--
Will Benton      | "Die richtige Methode der Philosophie wäre eigentlich
willb at acm.org    |  die: Nichts zu sagen, als was sich sagen läßt...."