[linux-audio-user] Re: strange problems with snd

Paul set at pobox.com
Fri Sep 13 21:25:48 EDT 2002

Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net>, on Fri Sep 13, 2002 [02:21:48 PM] said:
> Hi, Nathaniel:
>
>   Your system's Motif may in fact be LessTif. I've been having troubles
> with that build lately, though Marco Trevisani has built and used it
> (under Debian IIRC). I recommend the OpenMotif group's version instead
> of Lessif.

	Hi;

	I had problem which sounds exactly like this-- little
dotted rectangles instead of characters-- in a few different
applications in certain places-- mostly gtk+ things-- it was rare
but puzzling. Eventually, I solved it by running the font server
xfs for all my fonts.
	In my case, I blame the xserver; I run a 3.3.6 server
with a 4.2.x environment (ie. everything is xfree 4.2.x except
the server.)

>   I think your second problem is due to an out-of-date Guile. Version
> 1.6.0 is now available (check Google for Guile) but I haven't heard yet
> from anyone build Snd with it. I use version 1.5.6, I think that's now
> available on the CCRMA ftp server.

	There is a work around provided... load this before you
load the extentions:

(load-from-path "fix-optargs.scm") ; this is needed for guile < 1.5

	This is working for me with guile 1.4, snd-6 and your
contrib stuff...

Paul
set at pobox.com