[linux-audio-user] A Newbie's New System?

Scott Downie sdownie at sunflower.com
Sun Sep 15 11:59:38 EDT 2002

Thanks for all your replies! The list of ALSA-supported devices is
very handy. I had figured that since M-Audio didn't have much
Linux-oriented info on their site, their Linux support was sketchy. I
was wrong. And now that I know the M-Audio stuff all works, the Delta
66 is looking pretty good. It will be a toss up between that and the
Audiophile.

I'm doing homework this morning, primarily based on Tom's Hardware
Guide. Although the AMD systems have, not surprisingly, a
price/performance edge, it's not as great an edge as I had suspected
now that Intel's 845G chipset is out. Given Mark's intriguing comment
about making various devices work together as one, the fact that the
Gigabyte GA-8IGXP has built-in S/PDIF out is interesting. Here's my
very brief take on the core components:

* P4 2 GHz--$160
* Gigabyte GA-8IGXP (Built-in graphics, S/PDIF out, FireWire)--$100
vs.
* Athlon XP 2000--$90
* Gigabyte GA-7VRXP--$100

Steve's comment prompted me to look up the state of the Celeron. I
hadn't really paid too much attention to the P4-derived Celeron until
now, but Steve is right: If you're going to go Intel, it looks like
you might as well go the full P4 route.

Oh well. Budgets were made to be broken, I guess.

Thanks!

Scott