[linux-audio-user] strange problems with snd

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Tue Sep 17 10:00:55 EDT 2002

Hi, Vincent:

  OpenMotif's license does not satisfy the criteria for free software as
defined by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). The AGNULA project is
dedicated to preparing a distribution wherein all of its software is
free by the FSF definitions. Alas, that rules out OpenMotif (which I
really like), Java, and (apparently) all MP3 software. Obviously other
proprietary/problematic components are ruled out (e.g. Csound, RTSynth,
video players that depend on Windows DLLs, etc).

  However, work is underway to resolve some of these dependency issues.
As I mentioned, AGNULA people are already working on LessTif's problems
(Marco Trevisani tells me he has already compiled Snd under CVS LessTif,
but I have not been successful at that build). Other work includes
resolving the Java issue (I'm not sure where we stand on that now) and
substituting Ogg software for MP3 dependencies wherever possible.

  That's how I understand things now. If I'm in error hopefully someone
else from AGNULA will jump in with corrections...

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org