[linux-audio-user] programmable dsp box?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Sep 22 05:25:47 EDT 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 10:24:37 -0500, Will Benton wrote:
> Hey, all.  I was just browsing and saw the Soundart Chameleon, which
> looks like a really cool toy.   Unfortunately, the development tools are
> windows-only.  I'm sure that I could run at least some of them under
> wine/vmware, but I'm not too interested in

I think that all the code / information neccesary to port the toolchain to
linux is there, but no-one has done it. You should check with the
manufacturers though.

Someone else discussed it here a few weeks back, so you might be able to
get some help. I'm interesting in the final product, but dont realy have
time to help with porting anything.

> What other programmable dsp boxes (preferably using the gcc toolchain)
> are there?  I'm interested in something like the Chameleon, a
> rackmountable box with a DSP engine, LCD, control knobs/buttons and
> audio and midi ins-and-outs.  Obviously, the "rackmountable" requirement

Many of the DSP development boards can be used with linux, but they tend
to be outragously expensive, you you would have to make your own MIDI i/o
too - though they have compatible serial ports I think.

There is one oldish 56k based development board which isn't too expensive,
and has a large user community, but its pretty slow

- Steve