[linux-audio-user] amplifiers

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Sep 30 09:35:01 EDT 2002

my last off-topic post, i promise...

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> So what is wrong with Behringer then? Do you think they cheat like Bose?
> My little mixer is an excellent price performer and has no signal leak
> at full volume. I also think it does a very good job of not coloring the
> sound when the levels are set at zero.

as for price/performance ratio, behringer rocks imho. in fact, i like it
for home use when you can get used to the peculiarities of the
equipment. but behringer outboard stuff tends to be tricky in a live
situation, since for example the compressors easily distort when you
don't watch them closely. it's just not as professional, which is ok
given the price.

> I have to admit I haven't listened to a nicely setup Bose system for a
> while. If what you say is true and not influenced by egotistical
> sensitive muso types trying to justify their purchase of or dependency
> on [insert other commercially acceptable brandname here] systems, then I
> will look into other options. I will anyway but I just wanted to write
> that line ;0

understandable. it's a nice one. ;)

> Have you ever had the opportunity to listen to a Bose system in a
> correctly positioned environment?

i heard bose pa systems build from those strange looking cabinets with
the two holes in front, and those big pipes that are supposed to do the
sub bass. i found them nasty, but that's just my opinion.

of the smaller, home-use bose stuff i know two setups very well, one in
a school where i had an internship for 4 weeks, and one at my uncle's.
both were supposedly set up by shop personnel. both suffered from the
problem i mentioned.

let me emphasize that the bose stuff has its applications imho: for the
size, they perform very well. but there's only so much sound you can get
out of such a little box.

> Also you may have noticed that a large number of public venues like
> bars, restaurants, cinemas, theaters, use Bose systems these days.

as i said, ok for looks and subtlety, but imho not the best choice for
foreground music that is actively listened to.

> IMO if I need to hear serious, bone crushing, head popping sub then it's
> not going to make appartment living easy if I do it at home.

i was not talking about loud volumes in the bass regions, just that the
frequencies be there down to 30 hz. most equipment will not do this and
compensate for it by boosting around 100-120hz. deadly for your mixes.

ok, i'll shut up now :)

best regards,

jörn

--