[linux-audio-user] Help with mixer/preamp config (OT?)

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 02:47:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:54:39PM -0600, Jan Evil Twin Depner wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> 	What you want is a mixer with per channel direct outs.

That's the ideal solution if you have it...

>  You can buy a
> cheap Behringer two channel mixer and pan the outputs from each track
> full left and right and then use the L/R outputs as input to two of your
> channels.

That works for two channels, and you can use the aux sends for more
channels but it's very messy.

Another likely possibility is the the channels have insert points - these
are TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) jacks for inserting an effects unit into the
channel. The tip is the send contact, and the ring is the return. If you
plug an ordinary mono jack into the insert point, you will get a signal
from the mixer's preamp output that you can use as a direct output. Note
that the channel fader (certainly) and EQ (probably) will have no effect,
but the input gain ("trim"?) control will still work.

I used this method successfully until I upgraded my mixer to one with
direct per-channel outputs.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444