[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Tue Apr 1 05:22:03 EST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 11:37:33AM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Moeflon hat gesagt: // Moeflon wrote:
>
> > I 'm getting headaches from the rpm-system. I'd like to move over to
> > Slackware.
> >
> > =>	Does anybody have any idea how difficult/easy it is to build a
> > 	sound-workstation on slack? any links?
>
> Isn't Slack just binary and/or source tarballs? Why not keep Mandrake
> but don't use the package system and install everything from source?
> Or if you want a package system done right maybe you should try Debian?
>
> Sorry, I can't be more specific but I never used Mandrake and I left
> Slackware several years ago. IMO the packaging system in Debian helps
> a lot in keeping a system free of /usr/local/-cruft and conflicts.

have a look at gentoo. your machine will download source tarballs and
install them automatically. additionally it does the make install step
in a sandbox so that it knows what the package installed and can remove
it cleanly.

Its like installing from source but without the patching and stuff...
installing ardour is a matter of
sh# emerge ardour

this command will fetch current ardour-cvs and its dependencies and then
build....

look at www.gentoo.org...

--
torben Hohn