[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Tue Apr 1 12:14:00 EST 2003

> i'm reacting now because i'm just fed up with those generalizations saying
> that "musicians" don't want to see a command line, "musicians" don't want
> to compile,

That's my experience. Outside of the Linux audio community, I haven't met a
musician who was interested in computers for their own sake. Generally, I
find musicians relate to computers as other artists do - as a tool which they
expect to 'just work' - or as something arcane and unreliable, and best
avoided altogether.

> "musicians" don't want to learn anything new or different,
> "musicians" are lazy, "musicians" are stupid....

I never said any of those things. I'm optimistic that Linux will soon provide
reliable creative tools that are widely accessible - not something we've ever
had before. I bet a Linux box now costs less in real terms than one decent
open reel tape recorder did in the 1950s.

Cheers

Daniel