[linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Apr 2 04:12:01 EST 2003

> We have extreemely good tools already.

As far as our studio is concerned, I'd have to say that the tools we want to
use (gui-based multitrack HD recorders) are excellent, but not quite
complete.

Audacity only recently added support for full duplex on Linux, for instance.
Version 1.1.3 (a beta) is the best yet, but it doesn't yet have the stability
that we expect from a Linux system. I think it will get there soon, though.

> The hard part is learning how to
> run a stable machine. You won't find it any different on other OS's.

I used Mac OS and Windows back in the 90's, and I did find them less stable -
even with very mature apps. At least when a Linux app crashes it doesn't take
the system with it - and I'm much more confident about the risk of data loss
than I used to be.

> If
> you want to let people record two tracks without dropouts, then add some
> fx you could do that easily 5 years ago on Linux.

Perhaps I'd disagree with the word 'easily'. Five years ago, even getting your
soundcard to make a bleep could be non-trivial. First, patch and recompile
your kernel...

Cheers

Daniel