[linux-audio-user] Still: HELP: good sound card

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Apr 3 18:31:01 EST 2003

Hallo,
Joerg Anders hat gesagt: // Joerg Anders wrote:

> > People seem to go for softsynths still.  google for "fluidsynth"
> > from Peter Hanappe (right spelling?), which loads .sf2 files.
>
> I tried this. This is still worse than TiMidity. The strings sound
> like a guitar (because the don't sustain the notes) and the drums
> are removed.(?)

There has been a bug with muted drum channels in fluidsynth 1.0.
fluid 1.0.1 is out for some hours, where this bug should be fixed.
I'll test with your example.mid tomorrow. From my tests with iiwu-0.6
I must say, it is getting near to the hardware thing, only the levels
weren't right and of course the reverb sounds different. But I turn
that off, anyway. To repeat me: for a hardware soundfont synth, use
the SBLive or Audigy.

ciao