[linux-audio-user] SB Live (SPDIF), and about fluidsynth rendering

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Fri Apr 4 15:59:00 EST 2003

Hello Brian,

BR> There's no support for spdif on it, if you need that I'd reccomend the
BR> audiophile or another ice1712 card, since you can use the envy24control
BR> mixer with those cards to control the spdif in/out.

That would be cool, but I don't have the $$$ for an Audiophile at this
point.

So, is the SB Live SPDIF output totally useless under Linux? Or does
it at least mirror what is on the analog output? I want to be able at
least to play out WAV/MP3 via SPDIF, if not MIDI.

BR> You can use fluidsynth
BR> to playback soundfonts from ram, and right now it actually covers more of
BR> the complete sf2 spec (having support for realtime modulation
BR> control) than the sblive hardware has (which doesn't support realtime
BR> effects modulations).

How much CPU power does it want? I currently have a Duron 650.
Upgrading the CPU would be somewhat costly, and I can't spend much on
audio HW right now - so the HW synth, along with the SPDIF, is why I
am looking at the Live.

Indeed for the final rendering I am ready to use fluidsynth into wav.
After all, a final render does not have to be realtime, and a wav is
needed anyway to burn in onto a CD. By the way, does fluidsynth
support non-realtime rendering (from Rosegarden, into a WAV file) if
the CPU is not powerful enough to render it all in realtime?

--
Best regards,
 Mikhail                            mailto:mr at ramendik.ru