[linux-audio-user] Re: Mandrake 9.0 Roland UA-100

Norbert Wolff norbert_wolff at t-online.de
Sat Apr 5 02:40:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:59:00 -0500
Cris Lyon <chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk> wrote:

> I have altered the make files and loaded up Motif et al. and the file
> now make and make install run with no errors.
> Upon restarting the machine I find in /var/log/syslog
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
> unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
> unresolved symbol unregister_sound_midi
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
> unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
> unresolved symbol register_sound_midi
> modprobe: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o failed

Hi Chris !

These symbols are exported from the sound-core-module, which you have to
load.
Do a "depmod -a" as root to update your modules-dependency files.
Then load your driver again with "modprobe usbua100". This should load all
required drivers. If not, you have to list all dependencies of usbua100
explicitly in  /etc/modules.conf (man modules.conf).

> I'm a bit stumped here because I don't understand how the .o file can be
> prduced if there are un-resolved sysmbols.

An Object file is produced by the assembler, not the linker.
If you link a prog, the linker puts together the o-files if he can resolve
all symbols; in case of a kernel-module insmod/modprobe look if all symbols
are resolved.

> I also notice I have no audio facilites listed in the Mandrake Control
> Centre. Does this machine believe it has no audio, and could somebody
> please elaborate if at all possible?

No sound-core -> No usbua100 ->  no audio facilites ...

Regards,

   Norbert