[linux-audio-user] dell latitude cpx, windows (barf!) xp and linux?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Apr 6 04:32:01 EDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:24:02PM +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> I managed to do this on my laptop - I have XP and linux working dual
> boot (although I haven't booted XP in months - I just keep it cos I had
> to pay for it... )
> The only difficulty is that you have to get a recent version of
> partition magic (8?) to resize the xp ntfs partition - it's a different
> version to win2k.
>
> I managed it Ok anyway, and I'm usually hopeless with that kind of
> thing...

Yeah, same here. I think I just wiped the whole disk, installed linux then
installed XP (in a tiny partition in the end of the disk), then restored
GRUB. It was fine. I think I've used XP exactly once, to download some
docs to get the wireless card running in linux :) It crashed twice during
me looking for the docs :/

The machine was /highly/ alergic to win2k though, which some people had
told be was better than XP. I think the machine wanted the particular
distribution that comes from the hardware manufacturer, as a freinds
nearly identical laptop came with 2k, and that works fine.

- Steve