[linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Tue Apr 8 12:30:01 EDT 2003

Mark Knecht wrote on Tue, 08-Apr-2003:

 >    That said, I will spend some time perusing there again, or if you want to
 > point me to one that you think does cover these things, like fades between
 > two separate wave files, intergap & inter-track spacing, track points
 > defined within one wave file (used for defining the start of a track inside
 > of a single long performance, like a live take), track names, I'd certainly
 > be interested.

There are several that can do everything you mentioned with regard
to spacing and track points (gcdmaster w/cdrdao is one), but I
haven't run across one that will do actual audio processing like
complex fades or cross-fades as well.

There are also a few features of such a proposed tool that would
be nice for CD mastering:
 * quick-jump auditioning between several points to get a feel for perceived
   relative levels on different tracks (ideally, with very low latency switching)

 * integration with Steve's mastering toolkit (JAM) to make this *the*
   tool.  I think that JAM should be implemented plugin-based,
   so that a GUI/diskIO tool such as this could encapsulate all
   the mastering needs, *but* other tools can still make use of
   it.

just throwing stuff out....

jlc