[linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 18:57:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

Joe, I'd like to work together. In whatever capacity.
It's all good by me. Although I do become pretty anal
about style.

I am leary of humor or alot of editorial opinion in
technical documents. I'm to busy to read things like
that and when designing a document, I assume everyone
just wants the facts. However, upon reviewing past
documents that I've written, I find them to be dry and
uninspiring. Perhaps there's some type of balance we
could discover.

It might be worth trying a modified Associated Press
style report for the production of a song where the
primary focus is on mastering. I could try to pull it
off. Then if someone in the session says something
useful and entertaining, it would be a colorful quote
rather than a writers (mine) inbred and dull
selfhumor.

I don't want to get to ambitious either so I'll see
what opportunity presents to us. It'll be awhile
before JAM is ready to come out of the test closet and
into a commercial session so we've got time. I've got
plenty of clients that'd be happy to be the subject of
a technical report.

I suspect alot of aspiring engineers and musicians
don't understand what mastering is so it might be
important for us to explain to people how it differs
from mixing. There's also the mysterious vodo vibe
where mastering is best left to a small fraternity of
unsociable and seasoned veterans. Maybe I'm ignorant
but my experience has shown me that mastering is
relatively straight forward. Of course I've got a
couple of the right components in place for performing
the task; an accoustically tuned room, a decent set of
monitors and between my partners and I about 50 years
of mixing experience.

If anyone is aware of good articles on mastering,
online, please do bring them to our attention. I don't
read much about engineering so I'm completely unaware
of resources.

If the JAM code is available, I'll install, begin
testing and refamiliarizing myself with it.

I imagine we'll move conversations concerning JAM to a
sourceforge mailing list when the new site is
available. Has anyone registered the name that Steve's
happy with?

Joe, I'll dig up the TOC that I've written and mail it
to you.

I'm really happy to see people rally for JAM. IMO,
which often has the equivalent value of deer track
soup, it's a significant piece of the linux audio
puzzle.

ron