[linux-audio-user] Midi and VST server for vsti?

Ketil Thorgersen linuxuadio at rytmisk.net
Sun Apr 13 05:10:01 EDT 2003

Hi

This is my first post to this list. I have been working with both windows and
mac for years as a hobby studio technician with some education in then field.
My day-work is teaching music in secondary school and at the teacher trainers
college here in Stavanger Norway. However I have converted to Mandrake Linux
for my office computer on which I'm at present finishing the first half  of
my phd on, but I have been reluctant to try it for music.

After having read about the agnula project and found Thac's RPM's
(http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound9.1.html) for mandrake plus having heard on the
solemnly on linux for studio work I'm tempted to follow. I'll probably lurk
here for some time first, but a few questions:

I have installed rosegarden from thac's RPMs and it seems to be working. Looks
a lot like Cubase which I know well. The problem is that my trident card
(we're now talking about my office box, I have a staudio C-port system on my
music box) apparantly is not supported for interal midi in alsa. I don't know
if that's the reason, but when I start rosegarden I get the message
"sequenzer exited" and then rosegarden starts, but of course with no sound
from midi. This is what is in the sequenszer configuration section: "
"-malsa_seq". Brahms starts fine, but of course no sound.

How would I go about getting softsynths to work? I know Jack is the way. Arts
is installed by KDE. Do I have to disable that? Are there any step by step
instructions or automated setup programs to fix this for me? And is it
possible to use VSTi's under Jack via the vst-server? If it is - how? And
what is the simplest jack patchbay program to use?

I plan to try rosegarden for composing and Ardour for multitracking
eventually.
That was quite a few questions. PLease be gentle as I'm not a very
linux-literate user. Point and click is sort of my thing, but I love to learn
and is quite stubborn..

Hope for some input
Best regards
Ketil Thorgersen