[linux-audio-user] Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Tue Apr 15 04:42:00 EDT 2003

> Out of the
> box, the Linux kernel is a mess for music.

That's to be expected if you are using a distro intended primarily for
servers. I've actually had better results - as far as stability and latency
go - with stock Mandrake kernels than I did with Windows 95/98. So it's all
relative. With the possible exception of BeOS, I don't think any OS vendor
has shipped a default multimedia kernel.

Sound on Sound has featured Linux for the second time in the April issue,
where the Cutting Edge column is about moving studio admin tasks off the main
audio machine and on to a Lindows box. Making the Linux box run NAT to help
protect a Windows machine from internet attacks was also covered.

The May issue will have a feature I wrote on building silent hardware. The
machine described runs Linux, Blackbox and Audacity for minimal CPU load. I
ended up fitting one 60mm fan with a speed controller, so it's not silent but
pretty close.

Cheers

Daniel