[linux-audio-user] Realtime CD recording

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 15 06:25:00 EDT 2003

Hallo,
Ben Loftis hat gesagt: // Ben Loftis wrote:

> I would like to use my Linux box as a direct-to-CD recorder, for
> recording jam sessions.  Does anybody know of a Linux app that can
> record an audio CD in real time?  In other words, go straight from
> audio input to an audio CD?
>
> I think that some of the CD recording software can take input from
> stdin, but I don't know how the data should be formatted.  Any
> ideas?

I never did it, but with a burn-proof capable recorder it should work.
cdrecord will accept a standard stereo 16-bit audio stream. This
example comes from the CD-Writing-Howto:

  for I in *.mp3
  do
      mpg123 -s $I | cdrecord -audio -pad -swab -nofix -
  done
  cdrecord -fix

For realtime recording, I would use of course ecasound, and probably
(untested) this command line:

$ ecasound -i:alsa,default -f:s16_le,2,44100 -o:stdout | cdrecord -audio -pad -swab -nofix -
$ cdrecord -fix

Try this on a CD-RW first.

ciao