[linux-audio-user] Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Tue Apr 15 06:28:00 EDT 2003

> But the stock 2.4.x kernel on kernel.org will give audio
> dropouts under load, that's why it is strongly recommended that you
> use a preempt- or LL-patched kernel.

Sure - it's almost as if the stock kernel is the first building block in a
customisation process. I suppose Slackware users are expecting to recompile
at some point anyway.

It would be impossible to satisfy all the uses that Linux is put to with a
single kernel - and yet other OS's, we are told, can do this. Is OS X sold
for both rackmount servers and multimedia use with the same kernel, I wonder?
I suspect Windows XP is too.

Cheers

Daniel