[linux-audio-user] hum from laptop soundcard

Ben Saylor bsaylor at Macalester.edu
Fri Apr 18 15:09:00 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have a new Dell laptop with a headphone jack as the only external
audio output.  With headphones, the sound quality is good and there is
little noise to be heard.  However, if I plug in my monitors, the
output crackles and hums, regardless of the mixer levels.  There is
217 hz constant hum, a 125 hz hum when moving windows, and a 689 hz
whine when I run Pd.  The output crackles when I move the mouse
(external USB).  I just noticed that it goes away when I unplug the AC
adaptor.  I think I remember a similar problem coming up on this list
before, but I had no luck searching the archives.  How can I solve
this?

Thanks,
Ben