[linux-audio-user] jackd fails to start: cannot create shm segment /jack-shm-registry (No such file or directory)

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri Apr 18 15:52:00 EDT 2003

"Ivica Bukvic" <ico at fuse.net> writes:

> Hmm., I guess I was rejoicing prematurely...
>
> I added /dev/shm into fstab:
>
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
>
> recompiled CVS jack (configure finds shm stuff ok)
>
> started jack and the same thingy happens:
>
> jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
> jackd 0.68.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> key for /tmp/jack/shm/jack-shm-registry is 0x6a0bdb99
> cannot create shm segment /jack-shm-registry (No such file or directory)
> cannot create engine
>
> I guess I am back to square one.
>
> In addition, I forgot to mention one important issue with my other
> machine (where Jack works), and that is that it was updated from mdk9.0,
> while this one was a clean install. After two clean installs on two
> different machines, I noticed that neither had the shm entry in fstab,
> which obviously nullifies the possibility that it was a faulty install
> in the first place.

Apparently, the POSIX shared memory implementation is not a standard
part of most Linux distributions.  That's a shame.

> Again, any help is greatly appreciated! Sincerely,

Does the directory /dev/shm exist?  If not, "mkdir /dev/shm" (as root).
Then mount /dev/shm, and try starting jackd again.

What does "grep shm /etc/fstab" say?

Sorry this is such a hassle.
--
  Jack O'Quin