[linux-audio-user] [OT] any Xemacs users here ?

Torsten Anders t.anders at qub.ac.uk
Tue Apr 22 07:52:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 22:12, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net> writes:
> > I assume the Csound mode file is available from Bath, but after I have it how do I
> > instruct emacs to use it ?
>
> Here's a pointer that looks helpful...
>
>   http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/csoundx.html

The emacs-mode you mention here is a extension of a more basic mode by
John ffitch (ftp.cs.bath.ac.uk/pub/dream/utilities/Emacs-macros). You
may want to start with that one, perhaps thats all you for now (because
the extensions has a lot of dependencies ;-)

However, the file on csound-x (the extended mode quoted above) says on
installing: "Unpack the stef-elisp.zip archive in your site-lisp
directory [...]"

You probably already got stuck here ;) Don't panic! It just means, place
the file somewhere where emacs can find it (comparable to $PATH for the
shell). You can define/extend your path in your .emacs file, e.g.

(setq load-path (cons "/home/me/emacs/" load-path))

You may then want, that your csound files are recognized automatically
dependent to their extension. So you may add to .emacs (I hope I did not
mix up parentheses):

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.orc$"   . csound-orc-mode)
		("\\.ORC$"   . csound-orc-mode)
		("\\.sco$"   . csound-sco-mode)
		("\\.SCO$"   . csound-orc-mode)
		("\\.csd$"   . csound-orc-mode)
                ("\\.cec$"   . csound-orc-mode))
		auto-mode-alist))

The installation instruction of csound-x suggests to add

(require 'stef-elisp)

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me (had some problem with some
sub-package, if I recall correctly, its month ago). However, I changed
it to:

(autoload 'csound-orc-mode "csound-orc"
          "Csound Orchestra major mode." t)
(autoload 'csound-sco-mode "csound-sco"
          "Csound Score major mode." t)

These two expressions have the effect that the appropriate mode is
loaded whenever you open a csound file (a file with one of the
extentions declared above) the first time in your emacs session.

BTW, other emacs modi (e.g. the csound mode of John ffitch) can be
installed in a similar way.

Happy "emacsing",
Torsten

--