[linux-audio-user] Ultramaster Juno and RMS

Sylvain Robitaille lau at therockgarden.ca
Fri Apr 25 00:47:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Dave Phillips wrote:

> It is/was their intent to release the sources, probably under the GPL,
> but no definite time was planned.

I did get sources for Juno-1.0.1, back in February of last year
(2002/02/10, to be exact!), and I even had it mostly working with OSS
(had to patch the code to bypass the HPF, and I couldn't use any MIDI,
but other than that it was basically working).  I had a few brief
communications with one of the authors and intended to continue getting
that package to work, but I unfortunately got side-tracked with other
things.

I haven't tried it at all since switching to an ALSA based system (and
my music workstation is currently busy with a Knoppix demo, or I'd try
it right now), but I do intend to get it compiled again, and this time I
might even be able to use a MIDI controller!  :-)

In the meantime, interested readers might want to check out Bristol,
(http://www.slabexchange.org/index.cgi?DOWNLOAD), mentioned in Dave
Phillips' "Softsynth Roundup" article (Thanks for that article, by the
way!).  It has a Juno mode which seems to work quite well, at least as
far as I can tell.  That package's primary benefit is that is has
numerous modes of operation (Juno, MiniMoog, Exporer, Prophet-5,
Prophet-10, B3, DX7, Vox Continental, and Rhodes; am I missing any?)
The drawback is that it's binary-only, but otherwise apparently free
to use.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Major in Electroacoustic Studies                  Concordia University
Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department       Montreal, Quebec, Canada