[Audacity-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptop Stereo Recording Problem

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Apr 25 04:48:01 EDT 2003

> > So in that sense the track Pan control on stereo tracks in Audacity would
> > more properly be called Balance? I don't think it mixes the left and
> > right channels.

I've tested this using a stereo track where the right channel had been wiped
using Split Stereo Track, Silence on the right channel, and then Make Stereo
Track.

The track 'Pan' control does not pan the left channel into the right channel,
so with the current behaviour it should really be labelled Balance when on
stereo tracks, and Pan when on mono tracks. Thanks to Steve for making this
clear...

I hope this also helps with the Russian translation! Pan means 'to turn', and
is also used in this sense by photographers. It is derived from the Greek
word panorama, meaning 'the wide view'. So when we use the pan control, it's
as if we are turning, or moving the the musician in the 'wide view' of
stereo.

> If it can do mono into stereo then that must be pan (input split into
> more than one output).

We used to fake stereo using Duplicate on a mono track, then Make Stereo
Track, followed by realtive level adjustments and stereo effects - but if you
just need to pan the mono track, the track pan control now does that job.

Cheers

Daniel