[linux-audio-user] Capture with DIGI9636 Hammerfall Light and playback with PCI 128

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 07:24:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:21:47 +0200, Martin Buechler wrote:
> Pretty strange, since ardour does not complain, when trying to
> playback with the RME. Someone stated, that ardour ist writing
> directly to the hardware, and seems to have no problem, when there's
> nothing connected to the cards digital outputs. I also don't dare
> trying to understand, why there is one capture/playback device in
> /proc/card1/dev for the RME, while ardour reports 18.

That is because all the RMEs channels appear as one device.

> Since I do not want to purchase another AEB/4-O analog output box, I
> would really like to know, how I could use my cheapo SoundBlaster.

You cant easily because the soundblaster and RME (unless you have wordclocked
them) will be running out of sync. If you did manage to make a virtual
device that read from the RME and wrote to the SB you would get lots of
clicks and pops.

If you want a cheaper solution and your not as worried about sound quality
(which i guiess is true if your willing to use a sb) you could by a cheap
ADAT/SPDIF DA converter and connect that to the rme.

- Steve