[linux-audio-user] mplayer audio-out weirdness

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Wed Apr 30 08:06:01 EDT 2003

Greetings:

  Recently I added a DVD drive to my system. My aging RH 7.2 recognized
the drive with no trouble, and after I linked /dev/cdrom1 to /dev/dvd
MPlayer handled a DVD with not much trouble. Video performance was
sluggish though, and worse, I had no audio. So I dug into the MPlayer
docs (they're good!) and discovered lots about improving the video
performance, but I still couldn't get a peep out of the movies. The
drive's analog audio output is connected to the second card (a PCI128)
in my machine, yet no matter what I did with the mixer I got no sound.
The card output was routed out to a Bose sound system.

  Here's where the weirdness starts: While fiddling around with things I
discovered that I did in fact have audio. It's coming out of my SBLive,
not my PCI128 ! Now how does that happen ?? The drive is physically
connected to the PCI128, *not* the SBLive, yet the audio is indeed
coming from the SBLive.

  Can someone explain how this is possible ? Do the cards share a codec,
and does that matter ? Is DVD audio handled differently than CD audio ?
I'm very happy with my new drive and with MPlayer, and I'm glad to have
good sound, but what the hey ?!

  Btw, MPlayer rocks, even under my "adverse" conditions, i.e., I
compiled it with GCC 2.96 and am using an nVidia GForce2 video card. Ha,
it all works great !

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org