[linux-audio-user] Re: Seeking advice on a suitable CLI synth engine

Jonathan Segel jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com
Sat Aug 2 14:48:00 EDT 2003

supercollider. the fact that the new server based version in
development is being simultaneously worked for OS X and linux is what
is make making me look at linux audio to begin with.
look here (swiki page)
http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/479

main swiki:
http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/6
main page
http://www.audiosynth.com

also from recent mailing list:

>  fix try, in:
>
>SC_CoreAudio.h
>
>change this:
>
>#if SC_AUDIO_API == SC_AUDIO_API_JACK
># include <jack/jack.h>
>class SC_JackPortList;
>#endif
>
>to this:
>
>#if SC_AUDIO_API == SC_AUDIO_API_JACK
># include <jack/jack.h>
># include <assert.h>
>class SC_JackPortList;
>#endif

>From: Lee Azzarello <lee at fallingforward.net>
>To: linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu
>Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Seeking advice on a suitable CLI synth engine
>
>I would recommend SuperCollider, and object oriented DSP/MIDI language
>based on Smalltalk. It might be ported to Linux but I'm not sure. There is
>also Nyquist, based on Lisp and very cross-platform. Csound is the
>formadible beast. Then there's PD, which is not command line but very
>powerful. And if you're into Java check out Jsyn or Jmax. The list goes on
>and on and on and on....
>
>-l[e^2]
>------------------------------
>http://www.fallingforward.net/
>people experimenting with music, art and technology
>
>On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, S. Massy wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  For a while now I've wanted to fiddle with a reasonably powerful
>>  synthesis engine but haven't found a suitable one yet. I've been dying
>>  to give csound a good try but haven't succeeded in compiling it yet, and
>>  I've tried cmix but have found it a bit too "low-level" for my humble
>>  tastes. My problem is that most of the interesting synthesis engines and
>>  synth emulators today seem to come with a GUI and I can't use one, nor
>>  do I care to, to be frank. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a
>  > fairly powerful CLI synth engine I might try?

Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
               4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
   jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite at yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com
    tel (510) 534 7825  cell (510) 484 7415  fax (425) 955 4495