[linux-audio-user] [ot] places for open music?

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Tue Aug 5 05:33:01 EDT 2003

Tuesday 05 August 2003 11:10 skrev Robert Jonsson:
> Tuesday 05 August 2003 10:49 skrev Daniel James:
> > Look at any CD package; the licences tend to be about one paragraph
> > long, and could be edited down to just one word - DON'T. A really
> > good free music licence would be just as succinct.
>
> e.g 'DO' ?
>
> Sorry couldn't resist ;), but you have a valid point.
>
> On a related note, I read long ago (in Linux Journal i think) that Woody
> Guthrie atleast on some records had a paragraph that sounded very much like
> an open-content license (extremely open). Anybody know what it was?
>
> /Robert

Responding to myself :)

I went to their website and it was infact available, very cool. Turns out it
was a songbook though, not a record.

Quote from Linux Journal:

"  Copywright, Guthrie Style
When Woody Guthrie was singing hillbilly songs on a little Los Angeles radio
station in the late 1930s, he used to mail out a small mimeographed songbook
to listeners who wanted the words to his songs. On the bottom of one page
appeared the following: ``This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of
Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it
without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't
give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote
it, that's all we wanted to do.''
 --Pete Seeger, June 1967  "

/Robert