[linux-audio-user] ALSA/kernel 2.6.0-test3

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Aug 12 18:14:01 EDT 2003

> 1) I didn't do any configuration of ALSA. Is that needed? If so how do I
> do it now that ALSA is compiled in?

If Alsa is running, then lsmod will show you the sound modules you are
running from /etc/modules.conf. lspci should show you what hardware the
system is seeing.

> 2) Where can I expect my devices to show up? For now I have an onboard
> soundcard (i810) and the Evolution keyboard. I would like to route the
> incomming midi to csound, but later also to either Muse or Rosegarden4.
> Is that a matter of having the softsynth or sequencer read from
> /dev/midi00 (or somthing like that)? And do I simply tell the sound
> generating software to direct its output to the appropriate device, say
> /dev/audio?

Possibly under /proc/asound, but this is a 2.4.X model. I've not used 2.6
yet.

> 3) I noticed somethiing jack showing up. Is jack supported? If so, to
> what extend?

man jackd I think.

> 4) What would be a nice program use for figuring out what midi-events
> the knobs on the Evolution sends?

Don't know. I hope we get an answer! Certainly Rosegarden should be able to
record and show you MIDI events if MIDI is working.

- Mark